Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Get Outside, Stay Active, and Be Healthy!

When I was a kid, nothing was more fun than running around outside, playing tag, riding bikes, exploring, climbing in trees, and just doing everything kids should do. I never looked at it as anything "healthy," but in retrospect that's exactly what it was.

As I got a little older, I kept up that kind of lifestyle just because it was so much fun. This was before I got into bodybuilding, and I was just staying active for the sheer pleasure of it. And I think that's why I was always in good shape. A little skinny maybe (tree climbing is great cardio), but pretty athletic all around.

I realize now that a lot of children aren't like this. Yeah, some are, but video games, TV, and computers are making it harder and harder to get outside because, well, why would you? All that great entertainment is inside, not out there with the dirt and the trees.

So this is my call to any of you who have children- get those kids out into the backyard! Build them a treehouse, go play paintball. Make it fun to be outside. Remember that when you're an adult you tend to look at health as a chore or a necessity – if I don't work out I'm more susceptible to heart disease, that sort of thing – but when you're a kid you don't care about that!

Seriously, treehouses are awesome.

0 comments:

Post a Comment