Monday, September 10, 2012

How is Your Form in Your Exercise Routines?

There's a big mistake I see a lot of people making when I go to the gym. I usually do home workout routines, but now and then I'll step into the local gym (I still have my membership) and try some of the machines for variation to my normal exercises. When I do that I get a chance to observe what other people are doing, and it seems like more and more people are pushing for increased weight before they really get their proper form.

Why is form so important? Well, first of all it helps keep you from getting injured, and while that's extremely important it's not why I'm such a strong advocate of proper form in an exercise routine. In a nutshell, your form is what maximizes the muscle contraction and isolation, which both work to boost muscle mass.

When your weight is too heavy, you can't properly isolate a muscle group because your body calls in the troops, so to speak. It brings in other muscle groups to help manage the weight, and you lose that isolation. When you're lifting with perfect form, you can specifically target certain muscle groups by themselves.

Just a quick thought on what I see in a lot of gyms. What do you think about the connection between form and performance?

0 comments:

Post a Comment